Code of Conduct
Recreational Coaches Code of Conduct
- I will learn the rules of the game and ensure my players play by them.
- I will teach players to play fairly and to respect the rules, their teammates, opponents and officials.
- I will ensure that all players are given equal opportunity to improve skills, gain confidence, and develop self-esteem.
- I will remember that winning isn’t everything children play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will be positive and respectful, even in discipline.
- I will make sure equipment and facilities are safe.
- I will remember children need a coach they can respect and will always set a good example.
- I will be fair, honest, consistent, and generous with praise when it is deserved.
- I will encourage good conduct by players and parents.
- I will treat opponents and officials with due respect both in victory and defeat and encourage players to do the same.
- I will be an effective communicator. I will not yell at or publicly criticize players, parents, opponents, or officials. I will maintain an open line of communication with the players and parents.
- I will organize practices that are fun and challenging. I will familiarize myself with the rules, techniques, and strategies of soccer.
- I will teach good sportsmanship and encourage players to be team players
Competitive Coaches Code of Conduct
This code of conduct was formed to promote soccer among young people in an environment that promotes integrity and fairness amongst coaches, managers, players, and parents.
Our primary purpose is to provide an enjoyable soccer experience through the development of a player’s skills, attitudes, and abilities in a challenging and competitive environment.
Port Coquitlam FC Soccer Association’s commitment will be to ensure to the best of our ability that these positive values are upheld.
- I will commit to improve the performance of the players and the team mentally and physically.
- I acknowledge that a player needs to be able to participate in a high quality soccer program in a positive atmosphere.
- I will foster an environment where commitment to the team is understood and adopted by players and parents for the entire duration of the season.
- I will make a commitment to keep myself informed of the rules of the game(FIFA, BCSA, and PCFCSA) and sound coaching principles.
- I will coach by the rules of the game (FIFA, BCSA, and PCFCSA).
- I will not judge the success of my team by the colour of our medals or by our win/loss records. Winning is only a component of the game.
- I will set a goal to win, but not at the cost of the program, team and individual players.
- I will coach the players to win within the laws of the Game.
- When establishing goals, I will keep in mind the primary objective of PCFCSA, to provide an enjoyable soccer experience with improved technical, mental and physical abilities all within a positive and safe environment.
- I will teach my players the rules of the game and that these rules are mutual agreements that no one should evade or break.
- I will communicate my expectations to the players at the outset of the season as well as throughout the season.
- I will never engage in any verbal or physical abuse of players.
- I will teach team respect, respect for opponents and the judgement of the referee.
- I will set a good example because kids need a coach that they can respect.
- I will foster an environment where it is understood that unsporting behaviour while playing soccer is unacceptable.
- I will not use foul language on or off the pitch.
- I will avoid confrontations with parents in front of the players. I will control my temper and attempt to resolve issues in a calm and professional manner. I will do my best to follow the “24 hour rule” and take the time following an incident to cool down before addressing the situation.
- I will keep lines of communication open between players, parents and myself.
4. Playing Time
- I will emphasize that regular attendance is expected at practices and games.
- I will try, to the best of my ability, to treat all players on the team fairly with playing time, however, there may be circumstances where playing time is affected by the number of players in a position and or/ a player’s desire to play a position.
- I may reduce playing time for disciplinary reasons and will explain to the player the reason for the discipline. These may include:
- Missed practices or games without good reason or giving advance notice.
- Lack of effort at practices or games.
- Negative attitude at practices or games.
- Disrespect of coaches, officials, team-mates, or opponents.
- Incomplete uniform.
- Any other breach of the Player’s Code of Conduct.
- I acknowledge that discipline of players must be taken in accordance with the severity of the misbehaviour.
- I understand that discipline is to be handled fairly and consistently among all players.
- I will explain all disciplinary action to the player.
- I understand that PCFCSA will not tolerate harassment, discrimination, violence or abuse.
- I understand that alleged infractions of the Code of Conduct may result in warnings, referral to the Executive for action, and/or suspension from PCFCSA.